This is my go to breakfast or mid-morning smoothie. This shake contains eight ingredients packed with super foods full of health benefits.
1 cup of unsweetened almond milk
1 scoop whey isolate protein powder
1/4 ripe avocado
1/3 cup blueberries
1-2 handfuls of spinach/kale
1/2 teaspoon maca powder, hemp hearts and bee pollen (see benefits below)
- Combine ingredients above in a blender or mixer.
- Add 2-3 ice cubes and a 1/2 cup water.
- Blend until smooth.
Maca, hemp hearts and bee pollen are optional but after reading the benefits below I’m sure you will agree these super foods should be included in your protein smoothie.
Benefits of Maca:
- Maca is rich in vitamin B, C, and E. It provides plenty of calcium, zinc, iron, magnesium, phosphorous and amino acids.
- Known for increasing stamina. Many athletes take maca for peak performance.
- Relieves menstrual issues and menopause. It alleviates cramps, body pain, hot flashes, anxiety, mood swings, and depression.
- Supplies iron and helps restore red blood cells, which aids anemia and cardiovascular diseases. Maca keeps your bones and teeth healthy and allows you to heal from wounds more quickly.
- Many people take maca for skin issues, as for some people it helps to clear acne and blemishes.
- If you find yourself overcome with anxiety, stress, depression or mood swings, maca may help alleviate these symptoms.
- Maca is widely used to promote sexual function of both men and women. It serves as a boost to your libido and increases endurance. At the same time it balances your hormones and increases fertility.
Benefits of Hemp hearts:
- Excellent source of essential fatty acids including Omega 3, 6 and GLA in the perfect balance.
- Highly digestible
- Rich in Vitamin E
- Increases energy levels & metabolic rate
- Lowers blood LDL cholesterol levels and blood pressure
- Improves cardiovascular circulation, organ function and improves immunity levels
- Reduces symptoms of PMS & menstrual cramps
- Reduces inflammation and the symptoms of arthritis
- Improves recovery of muscles after exercise
- Reduces & treats dry skin and hair conditions
Benefits of Bee Pollen:
- Rich in protein (approximately 40% protein), free amino acids, vitamins, including B-complex, and folic acid.
- The carbohydrates, protein and B vitamins can help keep you going by enhancing stamina and fighting off fatigue.
- Is often used in skin products to treat inflammatory conditions and common skin irritations like psoriasis or eczema. The amino acids and vitamins protect the skin and aid the regeneration of cells.
Contains a high quantity of antioxidants that may have an anti-inflammatory effect on the tissues of the lungs.
- Pollen reduces the presence of histamine, improving many allergies. Bee pollen is wonderfully effective against a wide range of respiratory diseases.
- Contains enzymes that can aid in digestion. Enzymes assist your body in getting all the nutrients you need from the food that you eat.
- Good for the intestinal flora and thereby supports the immune system. Bee pollen has antibiotic-type properties that can help protect the body from contracting viruses. It’s also rich in antioxidants that protect the cells from the damaging oxidation of free radicals.